Thursday, March 20th, 2014 (3:00 PM)
38 year old heart attack survivor
Standard and advanced techniques for coronary artery bypass surgery, valve replacement and repair, and minimally invasive off-pump cardiac surgery as well as aortic dissection repair and the removal of cardiac tumors and the repair of trauma to the heart.
Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery
Treatment of blockage in heart. Most commonly referred to as simply "bypass surgery," this surgery is often performed in people who have angina (chest pain) and coronary artery disease (heart disease where plaque has built up in the arteries). During the surgery, a bypass is created by grafting a piece of a vein above and below the blocked area of a coronary artery, enabling blood to flow around the obstruction. Veins are usually taken from the leg, but arteries from the chest or arm may also be used to create a bypass graft.
- Arterial re-vascularization
- Endoscopic vein harvesting
- Off -pump (beating heart) bypass techniques
- Robotic-assist (DaVinci) bypass operation
- Hybrid approaches to coronary re-vasculazation
Heart Valve Surgery
Heart Valve Replacement
In this surgical procedure, a mechanical or tissue valve is transplanted into the heart to replace the damaged valve.
- Mitral valve replacement
- Aortic valve replacement
- Aortic root replacement
Heart Valve Repair
A surgical procedure in which a stenotic or regurgetent valve is repaired rather than replaced.
- Mitral valve repair
- Aortic valve repair
- Tricuspid valve repair
- Aortic homografts
Heart Arrhythmia Surgery
Irregular Heart Beat (Arrhythmia) Surgery to correct heart rhythms.
- Pulmonary vein isolation
- Modified Cox-Maze procedure
- Stand-alone atrial fibrillation surgery
- Repair of aneurysm or "ballooning" of major arteries in chest or abdomen
- Insertion of metal mesh (stent) to repair abdominal aneurysm
Additional Heart Operations
- Removal of tumors in or around heart
- Repair of heart defects or holes
- Removal of blood clots in the lungs (pulmonary embolism)
- Repair of injury or trauma to heart
- Emergent treatment of accidental hypothermia or low body temperature
Rush-Riverside Center for Heart & Vascular Excellence
Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery Program
500 North Wall Street, Suite 100
Kankakee, Illinois 60901
Phone: (815) 933-4400
Fax: (815) 933-9646