Balance and Vestibular Rehabilitation
Most types of balance, dizziness, and/or vertigo disorders can improve with physical therapy. You may also benefit from a comprehensive audiologic diagnositic work-up. Ask your physician if this type of rehabilitation and testing is right for you.
Our goal is to provide you a comprehensive approach to treating your balance problems. You may be referred to an audiologist who will provide state-ofthe-art diagnosistic services, combined with objective assessment of underlying balance impairments specific to problems of the inner ear. Physical Therapists perform specialized tests and develop an individualized treatment plan to help improve your balance and reduce your risk of falls through balance and vestibular therapy.
Balance Center Team
The Balance Center Team The team is comprised of Physical Therapists specialized in balance training and vestibular rehabilitation, a program using advanced technological equipment to identify and treat specific balance and movement problems. Audiologists are also specialized in diagnostics testing of inner ear and balance problems. Both the Physical Therapist and the Audiologist work closely with your referring physician and/or an ENT (Ear, Nose, Throat) physician.
Balance Self Test
- Have you fallen in the past year?
- Do you take medications for two or more of the following diseases: neurological problem, heart disease, hypertension, arthritis, anxiety or depression?
- Do you experience dizziness or feel unsteady?
- Have you had a stroke or other neurological problem affecting your balance?
- Do you have numbness in your legs and/or feet?
- Do you use a walker or wheelchair, or need assistance to get around?
- Are you inactive? (Answer “yes” if you do not participate in a regular form of exercise such as walking for 20-30 minutes at least three times a week.)
- Do you feel unsteady when you walk or climb stairs?
- Do you have difficulty sitting down or rising from a seated or lying position?
- Do you have a history of vestibular problems or experience vertigo when you roll over, lie down, or change positions?
If you answered “yes” to one or more of these questions, you may have a balance problem.
For more information download our brochure, Balance and Vestibular Rehabilitation.
Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Services
350 North Wall Street
Kankakee, IL 60901
P: (815) 935-7514
F: (815) 935-7069