Most types of balance, dizziness, and/or vertigo disorders can improve with physical therapy. You may also benefit from a comprehensive audiologic diagnositic work-up. Ask your physician if this type of rehabilitation and testing is right for you.
Our goal is to provide you a comprehensive approach to treating your balance problems. Physical Therapists perform specialized tests and develop an individualized treatment plan to help improve your balance and reduce your risk of falls through balance and vestibular therapy. Riverside employs licensed Physical Therapists with advanced training in vertigo and dizziness to provide this therapy.
Balance Self Test
- Have you fallen in the past year?
- Do you take medications for two or more of the following diseases: neurological problem, heart disease, hypertension, arthritis, anxiety or depression?
- Do you experience dizziness or feel unsteady?
- Have you had a stroke or other neurological problem affecting your balance?
- Do you have numbness in your legs and/or feet?
- Do you use a walker or wheelchair, or need assistance to get around?
- Are you inactive? (Answer “yes” if you do not participate in a regular form of exercise such as walking for 20-30 minutes at least three times a week.)
- Do you feel unsteady when you walk or climb stairs?
- Do you have difficulty sitting down or rising from a seated or lying position?
- Do you have a history of vestibular problems or experience vertigo when you roll over, lie down, or change positions?
If you answered “yes” to one or more of these questions, you may have a balance problem.
To speak to a Physical Therapist on this topic or to schedule an appointment, please call (815) 935-7496.