Exceptional Support for Breastfeeding Moms and Babies
- Prenatal breastfeeding classes
- Personalized follow-up after you head home with your baby
- A great place to start for the best experience including...
- And social time for you and your baby
- Inpatient/Outpatient Consultation
- Available 7 days a week in hospital
- Or by appointment
Our lactation consultants are here to support the delivery and post-partum breastfeeding needs of you and your baby. For more information or to make an appointment call (815) 935-7342.
Benefits of Breastfeeding
Overwhelming evidence supports breastfeeding and the benefits it provides for the health of both mother and baby. Recent studies show that breastfeeding:
- Exclusively for 6 months makes babies less likely to develop ear infections, diarrhea, and respiratory illnesses.
- May decrease the infant's likelihood of developing childhood obesity.
- Infants who are breast-fed longer have fewer dental cavities throughout their lives.
- Delays the return of menstrual periods and may aid in spacing pregnancies.
- Reduces the mother's risk of breast, uterine and ovarian cancers.
- Reduces the mother's likelihood of osteoporosis later in life.
- Helps the mother lose the weight gained during pregnancy easier.
- Increases the mother's self-esteem.
- Creates a strong bond between mother and child.
- Saves the family budget hundreds of dollars.
- Saves on health care costs
Why do I need a breastfeeding consultation?
It takes two to breastfeed. Whether your first baby or your third, both mom and baby can experience some difficulty at the beginning. Some of the most common reasons for requesting consultation are:
- Difficulty or failure to latch on
- Sore nipples
- Multiple births (twins, triplets)
- Flat or inverted nipples
- Maternal history of breast surgery reduction, augmentation or biopsy
- Low or overabundant milk supply
- Sucking abnormalities
- Infant shows little satisfaction with breastfeeding
- Returning to work and breastfeeding
- Slow weight gain for infant (early or later on)
For more information or to make an appointment call (815) 935-7342.
Riverside Family Birthing Center
350 N. Wall Street
Kankakee, IL 60901